Missing 'info' content

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon May 18 00:52:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 05:39 +0500, Mani A wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:01 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On trying to use 'info' under F11, the screen often comes up empty, even
> > though I know a lot of info files are present.
> >
> > Specifically, 'info' on its own has no main menu, 'info bash' shows the
> > Bash introductory page but no menu, 'info gcc' gives the menu (at least
> > at the first level) and so on, i.e. it's pretty random.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> #info -k bash

"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_ALIASES
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_ARGC
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_ARGV
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_CMDS
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_COMMAND
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_ENV
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_EXECUTION_STRING
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_LINENO
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_REMATCH
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_SOURCE
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_SUBSHELL
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_VERSINFO
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASH_VERSION
"(bash)Bash Variables" -- BASHPID
"(bash)Basic Installation" -- Bash configuration
"(bash)Basic Installation" -- Bash installation
"(autoconf)Shellology" -- Bash
"(autoconf)Shellology" -- Bash 2.05 and later
"(cvs)Specifying a repository" -- .bashrc, setting CVSROOT in
"(emacs)Emacs Server" -- Bash command to use Emacs server
"(emacs)Emacs Server" -- emacs.bash
"(kpathsea)configure shells" -- bash, recommended for running configure
"(gettext)bash" -- bash
"(ddd)View Menu" -- Bash Console
"(ddd)Getting Help" -- Bash Reference <1>
"(ddd)Help Menu" -- Bash Reference
"(ddd)GNU Make Initialization" -- bash <1>
"(ddd)Bash Initialization" -- bash
"(ddd)Display Shortcuts" -- bashDisplayShortcuts
"(ddd)Bash Initialization" -- bashInitCommands
"(ddd)Summary" -- Bash
"(ddd)Choosing an Inferior Debugger" -- Bash, invoking DDD with

> #rpm -qa info

info-4.13a-2.fc11.x86_64

> file a bug report

I was only using Bash as an example. There are lots of info topics that
come up empty. I don't think filing a bug against Bash is going to do
much good, or did you mean file against info with Bash as an example?

And what does "info -k" do? It's not documented in "man info" or in info
itself. Oh the humanity ...

poc