If you wondered why Intel sucks on Fedora read this

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 18 10:41:21 UTC 2009

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 13:19 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> John,
>
> A little tongue in cheek on who keithp is?
>
> See maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Packard ;-]

No. I'd never heard of him. He dabbles in different stuff, there's no
reason I would.

That aside, the point stands. If Keith is speaking for Intel, and in
talking about the subject he is he might well be, then he should be
doing so from a site clearly owned by Intel. Doing so establishes
credibility.

Even knowing he works for Intel (according to his site), one can't tell
whether his plans are Intel's plans.

I'm not picking on Keith in particular, there's any number of RH and
Fedora project people who do the same.

If you're part of a well-known team, and you want your own website that
reflects the work you do as part of that team, make sure your choice of
domain name (maybe keithp.developer.intel.com or
keithp.people.freedesktop.org). Intel might prefer to use another domain
name entirely - intelgraphics.org - that's fine too. It carries the
company logo, the regular Intel site links to it.

The site looks legitimate, but it could be a well-crafted hoax.

We all know there's a fair bit of nonsense on the Internet. Prudent
users take some care to evaluate the credibility of what they see. For
me, taking care includes looking at the domain name. If I am researching
the toxicity of CCA-treated pine, I would give a document on csiro.au a
lot more credence than on on roddclarkson.info. Especially when the
document says it's not very hazardous at all, and the reason it's not so
useful in fencing yards intended to contain horses is that horses tend
to chew on the stuff. Doesn't do any apparent harm to horses, but it's
not very good for the fence.

CCA in this case refers to Chromated Copper Arsenate. As I understand
it, chromium, copper and arsenic are all toxic. Finding this combination
pretty safe was surprising.

--

Cheers
John