file conflicts with previous version

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue May 19 17:33:39 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> said:
> >What would yum do?  I'm guessing the result would be both Foo-libs
> >packages installed and no package Foo installed, which is not the
> >desired outcome.  You don't want Foo-libs to require Foo (since that
> >defeats another reason to split off Foo-libs).
>
> Well, you could make foo-libs only require Foo if it is the 64bit arch.

That defeats another reason to split off the libs though: reducing
dependency overhead.  For example, I can't remove gpm on my system
because vim-enhance and mplayer both link against libgpm.so.1.  I assume
part of the reason to split gpm-libs off was to reduce that (having a
console mouse daemon installed when all I run is X is an odd
requirement).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>