Settng DPI on gdm and Sessions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 20 00:32:40 UTC 2009

> > In every case where I have had the opportunity to load F10 and F11 (many
> > different systems / hardware combinations), I have yet to see a
> > "correct", as you put it, DPI set up as a default. It's not possible
> > that all of those systems' displays were, again as you put it, broken.
> > In fact, none of them were.
>
> It sounds like you're not really following the concept of DPI. I'm not
> sure how you could possibly see different DPI settings as "sharp" or
> "not sharp", that just isn't the effect of changing DPI at all. All it
> does is cause characters to be rendered larger (high DPI) or smaller
> (low DPI).

Hmm, actually, I just realized how this could possibly be...I *think*
there's hinting for certain pixel sizes built in to some fonts, so
they'll look better if they happen to be rendered at that exact pixel
size. And that hinting tends to be done for the pixel sizes you get in
common point sizes at 96dpi.

Still, doesn't invalidate the overall principle.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey