Flash instructions updated

David dgboles at comcast.net
Fri May 22 20:34:53 UTC 2009

On 5/22/2009 3:05 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 14:05 -0400, David wrote:
>
>> Just keep repeating to yourself, "Linux is an OS...  Linux is not a
>> cause...   Linux is an OS...   Linux is not a cause..."
>>
>> :-)
>
> Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel. Fedora is an OS (and a project which
> creates an OS), and Fedora certainly has a cause element to it. Note
> that the first of Fedora's four pillars is Freedom. :) The Fedora
> project is not a project to create the best-working operating system at
> a given moment in time with no regard to the freedom of the code it
> contains, so in this respect, your position does not match that of the
> Fedora project in general.

Just how often have you heard someone answer, when asked, 'what OS do
you use?' Something other than 'Linux'? Seldom is the name of the
distribution used.

And that was not my point anyway. One person here needs a working Flash
for his work so he uses Flash from Adobe. And another person was calling
him, sort of, a 'traitor to the free software cause' because he was not
using the somewhat broken gnash. He did not call it by name. I can think
of several places the gnash does not work.

This is all baloney. Use the tool that will do what you need to do. A
computer is a machine, a toll. Not an altar. Bread on the table beats
hungry every time. IMO.
--

  David