Flash instructions updated

David dgboles at comcast.net
Fri May 22 22:39:28 UTC 2009

On 5/22/2009 6:13 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 08:07 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>

>> I think you inferred something I didn't mean.  I wrote that Adobe Flash
>> was "not a method of *first resort* for people who care about software
>> freedom." (emphasis added)
>>
> I think it depends on your version of "care." And I don't think you will
> state it to everyone's satisfaction, because it's a religious thing.
> There is a range of user choice from "only commercial because it must be
> good, I paid for it," to "I'll do without if I can't use free software."
> I fall in the "I'll use the free tools if they work and something else
> when necessary."
>
> In the case of Flash, people are locked in not by Adobe, but by the
> people who use the format on their sites and in their files. And FOSS
> tools are playing a game of catch-up, with varying degrees of success.
>

>> first resort for you.  You tried gnash and swfdec, and found that they
>> were not yet at the level of capability needed to support your work.
>> Only then did you resort to Adobe Flash.  And that's precisely the case
>> I thought I was making.  I have no doubt about your commitment to
>> software freedom! :-)
>>
>> I am in the exact same boat.  I need Flash frequently to view
>> proceedings from conferences and on other sites where I track
>> information about Fedora.  I try swfdec and gnash regularly to see how
>> they're working, and if I can get reasonably close to information that
>> would help the projects, I file bugs.  And then I resort to Adobe Flash
>> after that.
>>
> Precisely the point, you are locked in by the choices of the media
> creator. And Flash, like mp3, is simply the standard by which people
> have chosen to operate.
>
>> There are probably people using Fedora who don't care as much about
>> software freedom, and just want a working Adobe Flash.  For them, it may
>> be a matter of first resort, and so that admonition hopefully tells them
>> there are alternatives that may work for them, depending on the
>> Flash-based sites they frequent.
>>
>> Is there a better way I could put this so it's not misunderstood?
>>
> I think you have done a fine job, and as noted you are not going to
> please everyone on this topic. Don't agonize because you haven't made
> everyone happy, adjust your message until all sides are equally unhappy,
> that way you know you are being unbiased.

I agree with you.

I work in the construction industry. Many, too many, years. I do not
program, nor do I claim to know much about it.

I use a hammer, of the correct weight and design, to drive nails or
rivets. I use a screwdriver of the correct size and design to turn
screws. Same with wrenches.

I do *not* use the screwdriver to drive nails. Nor the hammer to turn
screws. Or the wrench to paint.

If the tool that I have does not work correctly I get a proper one that
does work.

I feed my family with the money I earn with those tools. I'll be da**ed
if they go hungry because I don't use the proper tool. The one that
works. Just for a cause.
--

  David