Experiences upgrading omen.com to Rawhide

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 25 18:02:40 UTC 2009

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> Rawhide seems to be settling down so I decided
> it was time to try Rawhide on my server which had
> been running Fedora 10 with an older Rawhide kernel.
>
> Initial installation  and network setup went about as
> well as can be expected given the two networks
> and local installation files.
>
> At first Apache and crontab just didn't work.  Not seeing
> any relevant error messages, it took a while to identify
> Selinux as the bad actor.  Things worked after disabling
> Selinux.

I hope you will report the bugs, one of the reasons I use Fedora is that it has
both SELinux and recent versions of things.  Dropping SEL certainly makes it
less suited to externally visible systems.

> I installed dhcpd with add/remove software.  This version
> doesn't work with the services applet.  Another version
> of dhcpd apparently does work this way.

Another reason it's not ready for production use.

> The advanced volume control app now starts the mixer.
> May I suggest it be called what it is - mixer.
>
> Previously reported problems with the mixer not being
> able to select CD/AUX remain.  I am trying to isolate a
> problem where the recording gain changes for no
> apparent reason, then changes back some time later.

I'll have to try the advanced volume control, since sound has yet to work for me
on any machine with fc11.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>