Shouldn't the fact that beagle doesn't work with both firefox and thunderbird be a release blocker?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:21:42 UTC 2009

> In principle desktop search can do stuff you can't really do with a
> directory structure, or at least not easily. For instance, what if you
> organize your documents by date, but suddenly you'd like to just look up
> all the ones which mention bananas? A good desktop search system lets
> you do that. It's really hard to organize your documents into folders in
> a way which lets you quickly isolate a set by _all_ criteria you might
> want to. It is a legitimate idea, it just hasn't been really well
> implemented yet, although Beagle does get close and it's good enough for
> quite a lot of people already.
Well, I have a nice tree-like hierarchy of folders, sorted by content,
sometimes even symlinked and finding what I want is usually a matter of
few mouse-clicks (partly thanks to my clever bookmark structure). In web
browser I use the much-more-than-just-a-location-bar in midori that lets
me enter page names or just parts of URIs and finds the rest for me (and
sometimes I just let google or wikipedia, through the same bar, find it
for me), history and bookmarks included. I wouldn't want my web history
to be cached in a way that I'd be able to search in the actual page
content...

> More extensive systems like Nepomuk will have even more interesting
> capabilities, when they're done. Nepomuk could be really awesome if it
> gets done properly. But for now, I don't think on a practical level we
> can consider Beagle a "it's so important it must work" component.
It would be in that stage if we decide to install by default, IMHO. And
for that it must totally work for the likes of me in a way that it does
not get in my way.

Martin