confusion about pre upgrade and /boot partition

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed May 27 00:51:36 UTC 2009

I tried to run pre upgrade today and got an error message that my /boot
partition was too small.  The message that it could download the file
during installation if I had an ethernet connection.

Rather than go through the whole thing, I stopped it and began to google
and to bugzilla, if there is such a word.

The impression I am getting is that it will eventually fail if the /boot
partition is too small.  My /boot partition is about 100 MB or so.  I
removed all older kernels and left the minimum in there.  However, more
googling indicated the image it will need is actually over 100 MB.

So, I am not sure if it would eventually fail or not if I try to go the
preupgrade route.  This was from an F10 install, which probably had a
default /boot of 100, but I could be wrong about that, I'm not sure if I
manually did the partitioning or not.

If that is correct, I wonder if it would better to have a more emphatic
message--the message was a bit ambiguous to me, not really stating if it
would fail later, even if the image is downloaded, if the /boot
partition is too small.

I only gave it about 5 minutes on google, so stopped after the first few
hits, many of which were older, so I'm not sure if this is still the
case or not.

Thanks for any clarification.

--
Scott Robbins