confusion about pre upgrade and /boot partition

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed May 27 01:09:03 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, May 26 2009, Scott Robbins said:
> The impression I am getting is that it will eventually fail if the /boot
> partition is too small.  My /boot partition is about 100 MB or so.  I
> removed all older kernels and left the minimum in there.  However, more
> googling indicated the image it will need is actually over 100 MB.

I'm pretty sure the image will get downloaded at upgrade-time if you
don't have enough space in /boot.  But you need enough space for the
kernels you have installed + the kernel, initrd and installer images
which is a bit bigger.

> So, I am not sure if it would eventually fail or not if I try to go the
> preupgrade route.  This was from an F10 install, which probably had a
> default /boot of 100, but I could be wrong about that, I'm not sure if I
> manually did the partitioning or not.

The default /boot as of Fedora 10 (and maybe Fedora 9, but I'd have to

Jeremy