StockBugzillaResponses updated, nVidia question

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 28 06:31:22 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 13:33 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
>
> > I also had a question about the nVidia proprietary driver stock
> > response.  After reading:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NouveauAsDefault
> >
> > I was wondering if the response should be rewritten to suggest moving to
> > the open source "xf86-video-nouveau" driver, which will be available in
> > Fedora 11.  (Will it be backported to 9 and 10 as well?) It was also
> > unclear whether "xf86-video-nv" is open source enough not to warrant the
> > "proprietary driver" response, or what.
>
> nouveau is available in F10 and I think F9 as well, it's just not the
> default. Probably we should say "nv or nouveau", or something similar.
>
> nv is open source enough not to need the proprietary driver response,
> but bugs in nv are likely to be given fairly low priority in future.

Given that I don't have the hardware in question and I haven't played
around with this, I added the following:

The open source "nouveau" driver is the recommended alternative.  It is
used by default in Fedora 11 and later if you remove any customizations
that explicitly set the video driver.  The older "nv" driver may be
needed in some cases.  It is also available in older Fedora releases.
Install the pacakages xorg-x11-drv-nouveau or xorg-x11-drv-nv and
override the X server's default choice if necessary.  See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NouveauAsDefault for more
information.
<<

There doesn't seem to be a good page with step-by-step instructions for
F9 or F10 conversion, so I was vague.  Probably this will become less of
an issue as those versions are EOL'd anyway.

Improvements welcome directly to the wiki text.

-B.