HDMI on Intel GM965

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri May 29 16:27:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 23:01 +1000, Masood wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>         This isn't true with Kernel Mode Setting anymore.  With KMS
>         you do get
>         enough memory reserved to handle the largest resolution your
>         card can
>         do, regardless of what was plugged in at the time X launched.
>

> As I mentioned, I don't think the problem is with X not having enough
> memory for largest resolution, but not reading resolution information
> when you hot-plug a HDMI connection (or maybe other interface types).
> If I manually add the modelines using xrandr, it just works.

Yes, it could be a bad monitor.  I have one monitor I use HDMI with,
however it uses a HDMI to DVI converter at the monitor side, and it's
plugged into the HDMI port on my M1330.  No matter whats plugged into my
laptop at X launch time, I can plug in this monitor and successfully get
native resolution on it.  I have a 26" LCD TV that I use direct HDMI
with and it too gets proper resolution when I plug it in, regardless of
when X launched.  My M1330 uses the intel driver, and if yours does too,
then the likely culprit is the display.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)