every so often, screen just goes black

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat May 30 23:11:19 UTC 2009

On 05/30/2009 01:23 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>

>> I can say the package is definitely not fixing this issue for me. My monitors
>> still go black for up to 10 seconds at random intervals.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>    hang on ... you mean if you do nothing, the monitor comes back?  i
> don't remember that behaviour but maybe i just didn't give it enough
> time.
>
> rday

Well, maybe I'll have to observe this more carefully the next time it
happens. I have a laptop with an Nvidia card and the laptop is connected
to a 24" Dell flat panel monitor. Every now and then, say every 30-45
minutes, my screen suddenly goes blank on me. My Dell flat panel
monitor's power button changes from a bright green LED to a yellow LED
to indicate a changing power mode.

It is almost like the laptop is going into power save mode.

When my screen blanks out on me, I have this habit of frantically moving
my mouse, and about 5 seconds later the laptop LCD comes back on and
then about another 3-5 seconds later the big Dell flat panel comes back
on. It does come on eventually.

Maybe I need to let it go blank and see if the screen will come back on
without me jiggling the mouse.

Details of my video card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro NVS 160M
(rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Dell Device 0233
Memory at f5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
Memory at f2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at df00
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: nouveau

Bob