grub installs on wrong disk (or wants to)

Allen Kistler an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com
Sun May 31 01:04:47 UTC 2009

On a multi-disk system, start with at least the first disk (sda)
uninitialized and at least one of the others initialized (e.g., sdb,
partitioned or not).  Install with any partitioning you desire.  When
you get to the "install boot loader" screen, anaconda wants to install
grub on the first previously initialized disk (sdb in this example), not
on the actual first disk (sda).

There are two workarounds.
1. Click "Change Device" and tell anaconda to recognize a different
    (i.e., the correct) BIOS order
2. After installation, boot into the DVD rescue mode to reinstall grub
    and (very important!) to edit grub.conf for the correct hd numbers

Big deal or not?  My take is it's a bug worth fixing at some point.  For
F11 GA, it's probably enough to include it in the Release Notes as a
known issue (but still fix it for real later).

I've filed BZ #503299, but I thought I'd point it out for consideration
in the Release Notes if somebody thinks it's worth it.