F12b won't start X on ThinkPad W700

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sun Nov 1 19:55:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 10:37 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 06:43 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
> > This looks very much like one of the contrived problems in the RHCE
> > exam, so I checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

> > (II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
> > Unknown TNT2, Vanta, RIVA TNT2 Ultra, RIVA TNT2 Model 64,
> > Quadro FX 370 LP, Quadro NVS 450, Quadro NVS 295
> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01000:00:0
> > The PCI device has a kernel module claiming it.
> > This driver cannot operate unti it has been unloaded
> > (EE) No devices detected.
>
> It's interesting that it's trying to use the nv driver. Is this a very
> old NVIDIA graphics adapter, or do you have an xorg.conf that specifies
> nv?
>
> I need to know why it's trying to use nv, to see if this is a bug, and
> advise you of the best thing to do next.

Adam,

To answer your question: No xorg.conf file. Whatever is causing this
problem seems to have introduced itself during the F12a -> F12b upgrade.
The W700 has a new nvidia chip, and I suppose it's possible its pci code
isn't properly detected by the nouveau (?) driver in F12b???

I ran into some speed bumps burning a 64-bit DVD. I'm running the media
test now. Should have a fresh test install some time this evening. Will
let you know in a few hours.

--Doc