some odd package group selections in f12 beta

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 15:13:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 11:35 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> finally getting around to f12 beta, and some of the groupings of
> software seem a bit odd.
>
> * wouldn't "publican" make sense under "Authoring and Publishing"?
> and perhaps "xmlto"?  others?

Re: publican - Probably best to discuss with the Fedora Docs Team
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project) or the publican
maintainer.

xmlto is listed as a default package under "Authoring and Publishing"

> * under Editors, what about gedit?  nano?  pico?

gedit is a default package in the GNOME Desktop environment
nano is a default package in the Base group
pico is provided by alpine which is included in the "Text-based internet
group"

> * how did minicom end in "Electronic Lab"?

I see minicom in both "Electronic Lab" and "Dial-up networking".

Perhaps a good question for Chitlesh (see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ElectronicLab_Spin) on why it's listed
under electronic lab.

> * under Servers, why does "Directory Server" represent samba, while
> "Windows File Server" represents system-config-samba?  that's just
> weird, isn't it?

samba is optional for the "Directory Server".  While, samba is a
mandatory package in the "Windows File Server" group.

> * i'm sure i'll regret asking this, but why isn't "httpd" listed under
> "Web Server"?

It's listed as a mandatory package under the 'web server' group.  So you
don't see it in the list of optional packages.

Additional information on how these groups of packages are generated and
maintained ...
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_and_edit_comps.xml_for_package_groups.  Specifically, you can examine the contents of the different optional/required/mandatory packages in each group at http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/comps/comps-f12.xml.in?view=markup

Thanks,
James