W: Possible missing firmware ???.fw.bin?? for module ??????.ko

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 08:45:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 00:17 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

>   Installing     : kernel-2.6.31.5-115.fc12.x86_64
> W: Possible missing firmware aic94xx-seq.fw for module aic94xx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql8100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>
> This laptop may be a horse (quad cores), but it's not at all in the same
> league as workstations/servers needing fibre channel cards to access SAN
> storage. Why does this kernel seem to *expect* these files to be there,
> then raise warnings when it doesn't find them? It seems to me the
> overhelming majority of machines on which this kernel might be installed
> would never have a need for a fiber channel card.

It's not the kernel warning, AIUI, it's dracut. It just prints a warning
for _any_ module in the initrd it's building that looks like it needs
firmware which is not present. And because we build universal initrds by
default with dracut, these modules go in even if they're not needed on
your hardware.

That's my understanding of the issue, anyway.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey