VMware Workstation on F12B...

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu Nov 5 15:43:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 12:02 -0400, David wrote:
<snip...>
> >>From some inside discussions I have caught wind of, this attitude is
> > partially why VMware doesn't support Fedora with more than
> > "experimental" status, but provides full support for other competing
> > (Debian based) distros.
> >
> > Thus my statement about stopping the fussing - on both sides - and
> > starting to cooperate more.
>

> Again. My guess? Fedora will work just as hard to solve this as they do
> for Nvidia problems. ATI problems. And any other proprietary software
> problems.
>
> And that VMware treats Fedora as 'experimental' because Fedora is a
> cutting edge distribution.
>
> In other words? I would not hold my breath for this to happen.  :-)

Unfortunately, you may be right about this part.

> May I suggest that you try Virtualbox? It works quite well with Fedora
> and they support the Fedora releases. And there are rpms for
> Rawhide/Fedora 12 also.

Actually, I already use VirtualBox as well. I find it just fine for
basic virtualization needs on the desktop. But when you need to work in
a VMware environment, VirtualBox just doesn't cut it from an integration
point of view. And I don't particularly care for the method of handling
virtual disks for VMs. I prefer keeping things for a specific VM in the
same folder by default - it makes moving things from one system to the
next a lot more seamless.

I've also found that VirtualBox is not too friendly with Compiz when
running in seamless mode. There are lots of repaint issues.
Workstation's seamless mode (aka Unity) has been a lot easier to manage
with all of the Compiz "eye candy" turned on. The menuing system is also
far superior in my opinion.

Cheers,

Chris

--