multiple python versions in f12?

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 22:41:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 21:40 +0000, Joel wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day <rpjday <at> crashcourse.ca> writes:
> >   but just *unofficially*, is there any issue with installing Python 3
> > in F12 (or even F11, as i'm trying to do now)?  as it is, i've
> > downloaded the Python-3.1.1 tarball, unloaded it and -- following
>
> I've been using the .src.rpms from the python3 review.  They work great in F11.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Bytecode caching (reading the .pyc/.pyo) files is probably silently
failing on an F11 rebuild of the srpm (due to rpmbuild byte-compiling
them all with /usr/bin/python i.e. 2.6 thus giving them the wrong ABI
magic value), but the only effect should be that it runs a little slower
than it should otherwise [1]

Let me know (via the python 3 review) if you run into anything
unexpected, or if there's anything we've missed. [1]

Also: if anyone wants to help package modules for python 3, that would
be most welcome!

Cheers
Dave

[1] I've filed bugs with various rpmbuild macro/script patches to try to
fix this kind of thing; they're all on the Python3F13 tracker bug linked
to from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python3F13