right place for comments on fedora moblin remix?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Nov 8 11:18:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009, Peter Robinson wrote:

> New release up on the Feature page and you can grab it straight from
> the link below. Hopefully this one helps out with the ATI issues :-)
>
> http://fedora.roving-it.com/FedoraMoblin12-Beta3-LiveCD.iso

  much better, still a few issues.  i dropped this into one of my
gateway mx7120s:

  * 64-bit athlon cpu
  * 512M RAM (yes, i know, not much)
  * radeon xpress 200m
  * 1280x800 display

  system starts to boot, i leave it for the 10 seconds to auto-boot, i
get the (in my case, slow clock graphic showing boot progress), a
*very* brief look at the hot dog before the screen blanks, then up
into the moblin desktop but the desktop is not perfect -- while
viewing the desktop (is that the right word for the window?), i can
see that it doesn't fill the screen completely.

  down the left hand side of the display, i can see a column about 4
pixels wide of blue -- the window doesn't quite extend right to the
left edge of the display, showing the background blue.  it's worse on
the bottom, as it looks like about 20 pixels or so short of the bottom
of the physical display.

  going into apps, starting an xterm and running "xdpyinfo" shows an
alleged resolution of 2080x800, which clearly isn't right and once
again suggests a phantom second display.

  even with all that, i can at least get into moblin, so there's been
definite improvement.  i realize that a lot of my bug reports revolve
around that one video chip -- xpress 200m -- so i don't know how much
time you want to invest in fixing these things, unless there are
similar issues with other ATI video chips.

rday