any life-threatening danger in upgrading my f11 box to rawhide?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Nov 8 23:57:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 14:33:52 -0800,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> don't think so, I wouldn't have expected this. not sure what the issue
> is.

yum is getting better at making the real problem stand out from all of the
dependent problems. I think the latest version provides a list just
before starting the update. You can also look at the first missing dependency
reports.

These problems can be caused by updates being later than rawhide versions
(especially during a freeze), missing obsoletes (these should get reported
as bugs) and stuff in externel (e.g. rpmfusion) reops not getting updated
for new library versions.

With some manual tweaking you should be able to work around this. yum shell
can be especially nice for cases where F12 versions are lower than versions
from F11 updates. package-cleanup --orphans can be run after the fact to
identify further things that need manual tweaking.