Testing new headset and cameras

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 16:05:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 11:08 +0100, Birger Wathne wrote:
> I got a new headset yesterday. Logitech 960 USB. Destined to be very popular
> in corporate environments as it is cheap with good quality. Also quite
> compact so it can go in the laptop bag. Perfect for mass deployment. You may
> want to get a somewhat more comfortable model for helpdesk operators and such.
>
> I just plugged it in and selected it in the sound preferences. Mic worked,
> sound worked... Great experience. Then I disvovered that this headset has
> volume control. Volume up/down worked without any problem, but the mute
> button doesn't do anything. Must be a simple thing to fix, I thought and
> searched google. What I found were very complicated install procedures for
> this handset for ubuntu and mandriva, so obviously Fedora comes out of this
> with flying colors.
>
> I'll make a bug report for the mute button. What would be the correct component?

Mute buttons on headsets are generally implemented in hardware, not
software, so you see no change on the system itself when you hit them -
at least all the ones I've seen have been this way. They mute *input*,
not playback; the idea is that if you're on a conference call or
something, you can hit the mute button and incidental noises on your end
(like typing) won't be heard by the others. So likely hitting the button
will not shut off playback, but will shut off input.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey