"yum update gcc" runs into libmudflap-devel

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 18:35:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:12:22 -0800, Adam wrote:

> > are irrelevant unless you can show that they are the culprit. Or are you
> > aware of third-party GCC packages for F-12 that cause such a problem?
>
> Thinking about it, perhaps you don't quite understand what I'm saying.
> it doesn't have to have anything to do with gcc. All it would require is
> for any package to be installed which had dependencies satisfied by the
> f11 libmudflap-devel package but not the f12 libmudflap-devel package.
> That would cause yum to want to keep the f11 libmudflap-devel package
> instead of updating to the f12 one, with the result seen in the initial
> post. that was all I was thinking of.

That's not how Yum works. It would move the unresolvable dependency to
that mysterious package and report its name instead, because it would
pull in the libmudflap-devel upgrade into the transaction set.

Mind you, that's the most common form of a broken dependency: the
attempt at upgrading a package that is still needed by stuff in the
local RPM database.