As of F12 RC3 my printer model is still not shown

Jim Haynes jhhaynes at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 11 00:17:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Have you installed foomatic?  I would do yum install foomatic, if you
> haven't already, and see if it's listed there.

foomatic seems not to be installed.  I just assumed it would be installed
automatically, seems like it always has been.  I will install it and
report back.

> Also, I'm not quite clear from your description how you did this.  If
> you used the Gnome interface and it was searching for printers, and the
> printer wasn't connected, it makes sense that it wasn't located.

I used System->Administration->Printing, then clicked on New,
selected Network Printer and LPD/LPR Host or Printer under that,
put the IP address of the printer in the Host box and clicked Forward.
That gave me a list of printer makers and I selected Brother and
clicked Forward.  That showed a bunch of model numbers, but not
the one for my printer.  Maybe it does need to be on the network
for this to work.  But I'll try installing foomatic first.

I appreciate the suggestion of getting drivers and instructions from
the Brother web site, but I've never had to do this in the past.