root filesystem mount options, on upgrade to f12

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Nov 16 20:25:01 UTC 2009

I was surprised to learn that with the initramfs system that root
filesystem flags need to be passed in as kernel flags.  I'm wondering on
bug 537882 if that can be made better.

In the meantime, I added this to the yum upgrade page in the wiki:

#  If your root filesystem does not mount with 'defaults' options, you
will need to add the root filesystem's mount options to grub.conf with
the kernel flag rootflags - initramfs does not pick up the options the
way initrd used to. e.g. if you mount your root with the flags
data=journal,relatime then you would add to the end of the 'kernel' line
in grub.conf: rootflags=data=journal,relatime .

If it makes sense for this to be on one of the other notes pages (I
first looked at relnotes and common bugs before filing a bug where
Harald Hoyer helped me out) then please make it so.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle