Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Tue Nov 17 06:45:31 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 07:17 +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
>

>> What are you trying to say. A set of users are saying that current
>> procedures cause data loss for them
>>

> Um? I haven't seen anyone saying that.

Qoute from Adam Prybl earlier in the thread

"I also have troubles with this. The worst thing is that firefox often
after such update dies, without saving the tabs etc. as it does when it
is killed. And because it dies after update anyway, I would just suggest
to put a "killall firefox" in PREIN script. Because this will trigger
the firefox saving mechanism and would not cause a data loss."

And this from Gregory Maxwell

"After this burned me the first time in fedora 10 (?) I made my script
that fires off my yum update killall firefox exactly as you suggest.

I know that killall firefox in PREIN sounds outrageous but it would be
*strictly superior* to what fedora is allowing to happen today."

And this from Dariusz J. Garbowski

"Particularly a good idea for times when the user is working with a
session on his bank account / fulfilling payments / on his retirement
fund account, etc."

If these are inaccurate, then I take back what I said.