tests on XI2 F12

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 17:54:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 10:24 +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:50:03 -0800 Adam Williamson wrote:
> > When you're trying to move windows around, you're not using the
> pointers in the applications.
> > Whatever window manager you're using obviously
> > doesn't cope well with multiple inputs.
>
> eh eh... here in Italy we say you are trying to climb the glasses ;-)
> with these arguments we would end up saying that your apps are running
> on the same kernel and so you would have to boot two different kernels
> at the same time (eventually using Qemu/KVM ;-) or that your kernel
> has to cope better with multiple inputs...
>
> taking aside the tricks, I'm testing with a default F12 RC2 and with
> the default window manager of the provided Gnome DE, that is
> metacity... and probably I overlooked the basic functionality.
> Thanks anyway for the feedback
> I'll eventually dig more in the XI2 technology to understand better
> limitations and opportunities.

I'm not splitting hairs, it's a fundamental difference. When you click
within the widow border of an application you are interacting with that
application. When you click on the window border you are not interacting
with the application, the application never directly sees that input, it
has no idea it's happening. You're interacting with _the window
manager_, that is the code that sees your input and handles it. It may
pass a signal on to the application if you perform an operation the
application might need to adapt to - for instance, if you resize the
window - but that's all. The window manager is in charge.

AIUI, what's implemented in Fedora 12 is the basic underlying X-level
support for multiple inputs. What's _not_ implemented yet is a lot of
application-level support - so even if X can now handle multi-input, few
applications actually know how to do anything with it yet. That's why
we're not heavily emphasizing it as a feature yet.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey