Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 18 03:20:44 UTC 2009

Firefox code offered by Mozilla appears to have logic that checks for
updates and purportedly synchronizes installation of new Firefox code
with a restart of the browser, so the problems of misbehavior and
possible data loss reported in this thread do not manifest.  Fedora has
changed this code, I presume for good reasons though I am not familiar
with them.

Do these Fedora changes, which disable the "native" Firefox update
mechanism, create the problems reported with Firefox updates in Fedora?

If the unmodified Firefox code does, in fact, avoid update problems:

  Do the reasons for Fedora modifications to Firefox appear strong enough
  to accept the update problems?

  Can the Fedora update mechanism hook into the original Firefox update
  scheme in some way that allows Firefox to continue its successful
  update strategy and avoid the reported Fedora breakage?