SHA1 and 256 (again) :)

Ladislav Bodnar distro.watch at msa.hinet.net
Thu Nov 19 00:34:05 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Note that changing HASH: SHA1 to anything else in the top of the file
> will make the gpg check fail since it writes it out that way. So it's
> sort of a tricky issue to solve. Not sloppiness.

Maybe it would be simpler to call the file SHA256SUM (or SHA256) instead of
CHECKSUM? As far as I remember, these files used to be called MD5SUM, then
SHA1SUM, which made it very clear what was inside. But with so many
different checksum standards, calling the file CHECKSUM is bound to lead to
confusion.

Ladislav