Enhancing Our Fedora 13 Release Criteria

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 13:46:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 15:43 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:

> Check out the wiki pages and respond with your thoughts to this mail
> thread or to the associated wiki "talk" page.  My hope is that we can
> refine and discuss these pages over the next two weeks and then meet at
> FUDCon in Toronto to discuss and put a framework in place for Fedora 13.

Here is some feedback on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Final_Release_Criteria:

- Where are the bullet points related to upgrading from the previous
release ?

- I think point 12 is a bit of a misuse of 'critical path'. There is
nothing in the definition of critical path that makes regressions here
more of a problem than elsewhere. And the unqualified use of the term
'regression' here is bound to be a point of contention. Was the removal
of polkit-gnome-authorization a regression or a design improvement ?

- Point 16 seems to imply that data corruptor bugs need to be both fixed
and documented. You probably mean: "All known bugs that can cause
corruption of user data must be fixed or documented". It would also be
good to point out where they are supposed to be documented.

- Point 18 would be better if it just said 'All applications that are
listed in the desktop menus...'. Having a desktop file is not really
equivalent to showing up in the menus.

- Point 19 would be slightly better if it would not talk about
'click-through' and instead said something like 'basic functionality';
it should cover easily triggerable crashes after a few minutes of normal
use, and the like.

- Point 20 needs to say that all menu items _for applications_ have
icons. Also, it refers to a 'Settings' menu that we don't really have.
The part about appearing twice should probably weakened to say
'unintentionally' - e.g. brasero appearing as 'Sound and Video ->
Brasero Disk Burner' and as System Tools -> CD/DVD Creator' is
intentional and ok, and emacs appearing in both Accessories and
Programming _may_ also be intentional.

Matthias