increasing grub timeout?

birger birger at birger.sh
Tue Nov 24 18:53:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 11:26 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Then do you think it's worth filing an RFE (a RFE? Hrrm. ok a request
> for enhancement) or perhaps a bug against grub?  If so, I'll try to get
> it done in the next few days, (unless someone else feels like doing it.)
> :)

I fully understand that the current behavior may be preferable for
mainstream desktop use.

I also fully understand that it is not a good solution for
visualization, and especially for servers.

So, how about this proposal:

Default behavior when initlevel is 3 (or just base is installed) is the
good old menu with 10 second timeout.

Default behavior if runlevel is 5 (or if the main gnome, kde, xfce,
moblin or whatever packages are installed) is the current behavior.

The tricky one? Revert to menu and 10 second timeout again if running as
a virtual guest, even if runlevel is 5. It may be easier and/or more
intuitive to leave this one out.

I guess it could be done by modifying grub.conf at shutdown if default
initlevel has changed.

birger