increasing grub timeout?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Nov 24 19:06:01 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 10:07:19 Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 21:28 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > I really don't see a good reason not to have it.  I know that Windows
> > refugees like quick boots, but don't see 3 seconds making that big a
> > difference.
> >
> > (Dinosaur that I am, I've always thought that there is too much emphasis
> > on quick boots with pretty splash screens, but that's just the old vs.
> > the new and all that rot.)
>
> FWIW, I would support this. As a data point, in my experience people
> don't count the bootloader time in deciding if a system 'boots fast' or
> not. If they see a fast boot from _after_ the bootloader to desktop,
> they consider it to be a fast booting system. Yeah, unless you bypass
> the boot menu this isn't a particularly logical perspective, but people
> are not that logical =) so I don't believe we'd lose much in terms of
> people's perceptions of Fedora as 'booting fast' or otherwise, by making
> such a change.

+1

I routinely switch to the "F2" terminal to change the grub configuration.  I
change the timeout to 9 because I have been bitten too many times by an
install which then has bootup problems.

I have an additional incentive to change the grub.conf.  I use a KVM switch
and I need to add "psmouse.proto=imps" for my wheel-trackball to work
properly.

Gene