NVIDIA / nouveau thread branch [was Re: Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 21:07:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:02 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > and the nvidia kernel module conflicts with
> > the nouveau one.

> There is no conflict. I'm not sure why RPMFusion is recommending
> rebuilding your initramfs. It is completely unnecessary.

Uh? If the nouveau kernel module is loaded, the nvidia kernel module
refuses to load, complaining that another module is in control of the
hardware. I've seen multiple people report this. I haven't seen anyone
who's got the NVIDIA driver working if the nouveau module is loaded.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey