NVIDIA / nouveau thread branch [was Re: Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed]

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:09:51 UTC 2009

2009/11/25 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:02 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> On 11/25/2009 02:15 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> > and the nvidia kernel module conflicts with
>> > the nouveau one.
>
>> There is no conflict. I'm not sure why RPMFusion is recommending
>> rebuilding your initramfs. It is completely unnecessary.
>
> Uh? If the nouveau kernel module is loaded, the nvidia kernel module
> refuses to load, complaining that another module is in control of the
> hardware. I've seen multiple people report this. I haven't seen anyone
> who's got the NVIDIA driver working if the nouveau module is loaded.
I think it's possible, but it's random.
In some case, it works, in others not.

Once that said, I saw that it could be possible to use
nouveau.modeset=0 on the grub line.
I never tried that solution, but the perspective to have two
differents driver loaded at the same time for one hardware just scared
me.

IIRC nvidia-installer (not nvidia.ko) has detection routine to know if
nvidiafb is loaded, because it has produced well knwon
incompatiblities from the past. I wonder if they have updated it for
nouveau.

Nicolas Chauvet (kwizart)