Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 17:28:09 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 16:20 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > >From my perspective, the two main avenues to a new Fedora release are
> > the live installer and preupgrade, and those two should get all the
> > attention they can get.
>
> I'd say the main problem with preupgrade testing is that, given the
> fairly limited resources QA has, it's rather hard for us to recreate the
> infinite configurations people in the real world will try to run
> preupgrade on. It's inherently a nightmare of complexity. We can
> certainly try and do _better_ testing than we currently do, though.

The good news for me was that the testing QA scoped out for preupgrade
[1] helped highlight the preupgrade /boot disk-space problem.  My
understanding of this issue ...

      * 534052 - Preupgrade should check for sufficient disk space in
        advance
             1. Filed on 2009-11-10 by Kamil Paral during F-12-RC4
                verification
             2. Further triaged and found as a DUPLICATE of bug#530541
                (see below)
      * 530541 - Free space check on /boot not thorough enough
             1. Filed on 2009-10-23 by Alexander Boström while testing
                rawhide
             2. Problem correctly identified as insufficient free-space
                for anaconda to install new kernel+initrd.img

Highlights for me ...

      * The issue was discovered prior to release ... that's 'a good
        thing' [tm].  Just as cool, it was also discovered by someone
        outside the core QA team
      * The problem was correctly identified when filed by Alexander,
        but the impact to the default F-11 preupgrade user wasn't known
        at the time
      * Preupgrade is a great application, was an opportunity to
        identify failure scenarios missed when we (the royal 'we' ==
        Fedora) chose it as a official upgrade method?

Did I miss any?

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Preupgrade and