Where's Konqueror in SU

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 2 15:39:57 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Same with gnome. Someone's misguided attempt to secure the system.
>> It's dead easy to install a system with no means to login to a GUI
>> and configure stuff.

A note to the original poster, I misread your question, and interpreted
it wrongly. Sorry about that.

>> All you need do is install sans user account.
>
> I'd suggest that anyone who sets up a system without any user accounts
> _and_ somehow needs a GUI to configure the system _and_ can't manage
> to figure out the settings to change so they can login as root should
> probably not be pretending to be a competent administrator.

My security is my responsibility, not my vendor's. The vendor's
responsibility is to provide tools and documentation.

Neither you nor my vendors understand my particular requirements and
circumstances, and lacking that information you are poorly qualified to
judge.

Here are the most relevant RHEL manuals:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Installation_Guide/index.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Deployment_Guide/index.html
  Find where either one describes creating a user account during manua;
(that is, not kickstart) installation.I looked, I don't see it and I
don't recall it,

I've not done a manual install of Fedora for some time, my normal
install for any of the RHL family is by kickstart, and I do normally
create user accounts, add some to wheel and configure sudo so members of
the wheel group can administer using sudo.

In contrast, Debian and Ubuntu insist.

> Are there not enough examples from Windows of why it's a terrible idea
> to run with full administrator privileges -- especially software like
> web browsers?

Recommendations I've seen on windows are
1. Use administrative accounts for administration only.
or
2. Use regular accounts, use "run as" to gain elevated privilege when
required. Unfortunately for this advice, Windows Update failed for me on
two systems, so I have it up. My approach is the first.

A well-designed GUI is not to be scorned. It presents the user's choices
and provides guidance in making choices, and can make sure the choices
are sane. Where a change must be reflected in several files, it can take
care of that.

Of course, a TUI could do as well, but last I looked I could not find
any TUI-writing tools to match what I had on MSDOS 3.31 (or OS/2 in DOS
mode) last century.

--

Cheers
John