W: Possible missing firmware ???.fw.bin?? for module ??????.ko

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Nov 4 23:30:50 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear fellow testers,
>
> Has anyone noticed something like the Subject line?
>
>   Installing     : kernel-2.6.31.5-115.fc12.x86_64                        10/87
> W: Possible missing firmware aic94xx-seq.fw for module aic94xx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql8100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql2400_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql2322_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql2300_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql2200_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
> W: Possible missing firmware ql2100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko
>

> Does it mean that if we have the above firmware on our machines, that the kernel modules are not there because of error?

The firmware files are expected to be installed in /lib/firmware by the
modules.  Note that that's "/lib/firmware" regardless of 32- or 64-bit
systems.

The QLogic firmware files (the qla2xxx driver is for QLogic fiberchannel
HBAs) are installed by making sure you install the appropriate RPMs:

	[root at prophead ~]# rpm -qf /lib/firmware/ql2300_fw.bin
	ql23xx-firmware-3.03.27-1.fc10.noarch

So "yum install ql*-firmware*" should get you all of them.  You're
running a lot of fiberchannel stuff?  Wow!  I do, but only on big,
honking (hundreds of TB) storage farms using EMC arrays.

As for the Adaptec file (aic94xx), I don't know.  I'm sure there's an
RPM for that as well.  I haven't run an Adaptec card that needed
firmware in a long time.
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -