Where's Konqueror in SU

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Nov 6 21:23:20 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 10:45 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> I've been a Linux admin for well over 15 years and I've yet to see
>> when
>> I really _need_ root to have a GUI.
>
> The only convincing use case I've ever come up with is resizing
> the /home partition using a graphical partition tool; you can't do that
> with su from a user account because the partition will obviously be
> busy. =) but it's sufficiently niche that 'just run startx from runlevel
> 3' is really enough to cover it. or, y'know, 'use a live CD'.

I suppose I'm old school, but I have a tendency to not resize partitions
on a machine in any multiuser state.  Just don't trust it.  LVM and such
do make it more reliable, but I'd only do it in single user mode, so GUI
is out anyway.  Belt and braces, belt and braces (as far as futzing with
disks on live systems is concerned anyway)...

- Do not taunt the sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger -