Where's Konqueror in SU

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Nov 7 05:56:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 13:23 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 10:45 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >> I've been a Linux admin for well over 15 years and I've yet to see
> >> when
> >> I really _need_ root to have a GUI.
> >
> > The only convincing use case I've ever come up with is resizing
> > the /home partition using a graphical partition tool; you can't do that
> > with su from a user account because the partition will obviously be
> > busy. =) but it's sufficiently niche that 'just run startx from runlevel
> > 3' is really enough to cover it. or, y'know, 'use a live CD'.
>
> I suppose I'm old school, but I have a tendency to not resize partitions
> on a machine in any multiuser state.  Just don't trust it.  LVM and such
> do make it more reliable, but I'd only do it in single user mode, so GUI
> is out anyway.  Belt and braces, belt and braces (as far as futzing with
> disks on live systems is concerned anyway)...

I've always been more happy-go-lucky, which is probably why I lost my
entire /home partition to an unfortunate ReiserFS resizing accident a
few years back. The accident was to try and resize a ReiserFS partition.
For the record, don't. :)

(I also once dd'ed a floppy disk image over the first 1.44MB of my root
partition. /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are so *similar*, after all. Darn USB
floppy drives. It's a good thing no-one's paying me to do quality
assurance on the operating system they trust all their data to, really.
That'd be a damn silly thing to do...)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey