right place for comments on fedora moblin remix?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:19:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 05:21 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>> > I believe the appropriate action at this point is to debug your
>> > xpress 200m. With fire, and possibly a big stick with rusty nails in
>> > it.
>>
>>   chances are good that's true.  what's curious, however, is that
>> *some* distros (debian, suse) work just fine with that video chip.
>> fedora, though ... nothing but grief.  go figure.
>
> Probably different X server / driver versions and config options. What
> seems consistent is that _some_ 200ms wind up not working with just
> about any X release. it just seems to be a particularly fragile chip for
> some reason...
>
>> > (seriously - what date remix did you try? it'll presumably be using
>> > the same X packages as every other spin/mix, so if you got one from
>> > yesterday you might have been bitten by the X server horkage, I
>> > guess.)
>>
>>   i downloaded it maybe three days ago:
>>
>> http://fedora.roving-it.com/FedoraMoblin12-Beta2-LiveCD.iso
>>
>> and the fedora moblin page itself:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraMoblin
>>
>> suggests issues should be posted here or to the fedora-devel list.  is
>> there an even newer spin i can test?
>
> I'm not sure if they're doing daily spins :/ I also don't know what
> versions of the X stuff wound up on their Beta 2 image. Peter Robinson,
> could you let us know? What kernel and xorg-x11-server versions are on
> the beta2 build?

No daily spins at the moment. Was planning weekly spins but work has
been hell at the moment so its random spins. This was created 22:00 on
Nov 5th so it should have had the contents of rawhide that day. I plan
on doing another one in the next couple of days to pull in all the
latest fixes.

The testing I've done with Moblin on chipsets other than Intel have
had mixed results. Compared to my Netbook my Dell laptop with dual
2.5G penryn chips, 4 gig of RAM runs as slow as a dog and a friends
radeon 3400HD laptop just crashes with modesetting and takes 15+
seconds to respond with other issues (RHBZ 529492) without.

I think clutter support for the various GPU drivers is (should) be the
next big thing for driver optimisation if gnome 3 is going to be
useful :-) (un)fortunately Moblin based devices will be the leader of
that pack so with luck the fixes should be there in time :-)

Cheers,
Peter