F12 RC3 Can't create modem network connection

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 07:15:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 20:43 -0600, Jim Haynes wrote:
> I installed F12 RC3 in what I think is a typical gnome desktop
> configuration, and I customized the installation to select
> dialup networking.  Then I tried to use System->Administration->Network
> to create a new modem connection.  The program crashed with the following
> error report
>
> Component: system-config-network
> Version: 1.5.99
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/gui/NCPluginModemInterface.py", line 136, in on_Modem_prepare
>      dlist = getModemList()
>    File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/plugins/NCPluginDevModem.py", line 37, in getModemList
>      import kudzu
> ImportError: No module named kudzu
>
> Local variables in innermost frame:
>

> I checked and there is no kudzu package installed, but I don't know if
> that is the cause of the above error.
>
> jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

It almost certainly is.

Harald appears to have (incorrectly?) silently dropped the requirement
of kudzu in 1.5.97:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/system-config-network/F-12/system-config-network.spec?r1=1.48&r2=1.49

However, I think you should be able to configure the connection via
NetworkManager, and that would be the preferred method. Can you try
that? Thanks.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey