Can't restart x on card O

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 18:14:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:43 -0700, Lawrence E Graves wrote:

> > less /var/log/Xorg.0.log will let you look at it. If you have a USB
> > stick, you can plug it in, and - as root - do something like:
> >
> > mkdir /mnt/temp
> > mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/temp
> >
> > to mount it at /mnt/temp , then copy it there, so you can paste it from
> > another machine. the /dev/sdb1 will vary, it depends on many hard disks
> > you have. Do:
> >
> > ls /dev/sd*
> >
> > both before and after plugging in the USB stick. The one that only shows
> > up after is the USB stick.

> I pray this will tell you something.  I just started a reinstall to get
> this information. It might be easier to instruct me from here as to what
> I need to check as I install.

Unfortunately, if that log comes from an installation where the graphics
are currently working, it doesn't tell us anything :/ Xorg.0.log is
per-session; it only logs the _current_ X session. So that log is from
the X that's working fine in your installation, and doesn't tell us
what's going wrong on the installed system.

Let us know if you're still having trouble when this install completes,
and we'll try and think of something.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey