Can't restart x on card O

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 00:12:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 14:22 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > I had to leave for a minute.  Sorry about the wait for answer.
> >
> > If I install drivers (akmod or kmod) this is when the problem of
> > restarting my computer comes in.  As long as I leave the drivers alone,
> > it runs perfectly.  Just trying to understand why I can't use these
> > drivers.  I am using a Evga 9500 Video Card.  It will let me install
> > them and then tell me I need to restartx in order to use them.  Once I
> > install and reboot that is when I am unable to get back in Fedora 12
> > without reinstalling it.  Does that make sense or am I losing it after
> > 10 trys.
>
> That is precisely what we're trying to debug...what happens when you
> install those drivers.  So, install them, and when it craps out, hold
> down ALT, press the F2 key, log in as root and post the
> "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file from the failed X startup.

Actually, it's not what I thought was the problem until just now, so
good thing we clarified that. :) Honestly I'm a lot less bothered about
the proprietary drivers than the free ones, but sure, we can try and
figure it out.

Lawrence, once you've got it to the point where it's crashing, boot up,
and at the start of boot, hit 'tab' to edit the boot options. Select the
second line of the boot options for the kernel you're booting - it
should end with 'rhgb quiet' or some such - and add just the single
number '3' (preceded by a space). That should boot to a text console.
You can log in and have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log that way.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey