Xorg.0.log

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Nov 11 00:48:57 UTC 2009

Lawrence E Graves wrote:
> I just install kmod-nvidia drivers but did not reboot.  Here is the file
> and I am hoping this will give you some idea as to the problem with the
> drives.  As you can see, I just filed a bug (#536688). I tried to enable
> desktop effects. Sense compiz is enable to some degree in the download,
> it should work without the kmod drivers. Shouldn't it?

Judging by the previous xorg log you sent, the free "noveau" driver is
working.  It's the nVidia proprietary driver that's failing (the one
installed via the kmod bit).  I don't think anyone on this list can help
with it.  In general, the Fedora gang can't help with any manufacturer's
proprietary driver.  We simply don't have the source code to the driver
to help debug it.  nVidia has to sort it out, so bug reports should
probably go to them.

I think the attempted kmod install would create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file to push its driver in and that's good because you can force the
noveau driver back in by either deleting that /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
or editing it and changing the driver name.

You need to log into the machine as the root user.  If you have a login
prompt showing, then log in as root.  If not, hold down "ALT" and press
F2, F3, F4, or F5 until you DO get a login prompt.  Log in as root.

Once you're in, then enter the three commands:

	telinit 3
	rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
	telinit 5

That should restart X with the noveau driver and you're back and
running.  Do NOT reinstall the kmod-nvidia stuff as its broken with
this version of X and/or the kernel.  You'll have to wait for nVidia
to fix it.
-          "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."           -