Help! I can't unsuspend from disk.

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 07:21:08 UTC 2009

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> a black and white version of the grub menu
> appears, but not one using grub.conf. It does not
have
> any options at all and does not recognize any
> partitions or kernels. It is impossible to boot the
> computer into any installed operating system from
any
> partition.

That was somewhat wrong. When manually typing the
kernel and initrd lines, I forgot I needed /boot/.
Then, I learned that I had to put noresume on the
kernel boot line and I was finally able to boot, after
wasting at least 4 hours :-((

Despite being able to boot again, another problem
remains with grub: instead of grub showing up in
colour and displaying all of the boot options (after
pressing ESC), it immediately appears in white text on
a black background. There is an odd line that reads
something like 'unable to read something or other
because it is beyond what the BIOS can access' and
there is an error code, 18 followed by what must be a
heart symbol and a fourth symbol, followed by the grub
prompt.

I never had this grub problem before trying to use
suspend to disk and it persists despite having
reinstalled grub to the mbr of the disk twice.

As a result, every time I now start the system, I have
to manually type in the whole kernel boot line, and
since plymouth, this is quite a long list of options.
I tried without, but the system then hangs and there
is a message something like 'kernel panic hangs
permanently' or something to that effect.

What did suspend to disk do to grub and how can I get
it all back to normal?