upgrade to f12rc3+ trouble with nautilus and tigervnc /yum

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 15 11:53:34 UTC 2009

On 11/14/2009 07:55 PM, David Timms wrote:
> Hi, I had a bit of trouble after doing the above with preupgrade,
> because of pre-existing rpm fusion nvidia kmod driver. After moving to
> nouveau, to get the GUI going, I have noticed two weird things:
> =====
> nautilus: just doesn't start:
> 0$ time nautilus --browser
>
> (nautilus:14701): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message:
> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
> did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
> the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
>

> (nautilus:14701): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message:
> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
> did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
> the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
>
> real 0m50.127s
> user 0m0.026s
> sys 0m0.010s
=====
after install of debuginfo packages (all night), gdb gives me:
$ gdb nautilus
GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (7.0-3.fc12)
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-redhat-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/nautilus...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/nautilus.debug...done.
done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/nautilus
warning: .dynamic section for "/usr/lib/libtdb.so.1" is not at the
expected address
warning: difference appears to be caused by prelink, adjusting expectations
warning: .dynamic section for "/usr/lib/libgvfscommon.so.0" is not at
the expected address
warning: difference appears to be caused by prelink, adjusting expectations
warning: .dynamic section for "/lib/libudev.so.0" is not at the expected
address
warning: difference appears to be caused by prelink, adjusting expectations
[New Thread 0xb7dd0b70 (LWP 2942)]
[Thread 0xb7dd0b70 (LWP 2942) exited]

(nautilus:2939): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(nautilus:2939): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[New Thread 0xb7dd0b70 (LWP 2943)]
[New Thread 0xb71ffb70 (LWP 2944)]
[Thread 0xb7dd0b70 (LWP 2943) exited]
[Thread 0xb71ffb70 (LWP 2944) exited]

Program exited normally.
(gdb)
=====
# rpm -Va \*dbus\*
is silent.

How would you begin to debug this or if that isn't worth the effort, do
you think a yum reinstall of dbus or nautilus would solve it ?

Cheers, DaveT.