May I safely execute yum-complete-transaction?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 05:38:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a power shortage while I ran "yum update". After booting up, yum
> told me to run yum-complete-transaction.
>
> However yum-complete-transaction reported (see attachement), it would:
> Install       7 Package(s)
> Upgrade     205 Package(s)
> Remove      209 Package(s)
>
> So I canceld, afraid of having a lot of stiff accidentially removed.
>
> Is it safe to let yum-complete-transaction continue?
>
> Thanks, Clemens

Watch out!

Same happened to me and I mistakenly let it proceed.  It removed lots
and lots of VITAL packages.  As far as I can see, it acted as if it
has installed the new updates, but it had not.  Then it removed very
imprortant things and it was very difficult to recover.

I'd like to know how to "clear" the yum system so that
yum-complete-transaction does not think it needs to "help" me any
more.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson