Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 09:50:05 UTC 2009

----- "Adam Pribyl" <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Adam Miller wrote:
>
> > I think that if you are going to kill it that there should be a
> simple
> > dialog that pops up to inform the user what is going on so that it
> is not
> > perceived as either a Firefox or a Fedora failure.
> >
> > -Adam (From Android - CM)
> >

> Any dialog popping is hardly possible, at least to my knowledge now.
> We
> can ask mozilla if they can do something for us. According to
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Command_Line_Options
> there shoudl be some -kill and -killAll option to "mozilla", but I was
> not
> able to trigger it to find what it is doing. Seems to me, it is
> outdated
> or something..

I can tell you what Ubuntu does in case Firefox is updated. It pops up a
dialog saying "Firefox has just been upgraded, it needs to be restarted".
And there is a button "Perform action now". We can investigate how they
do it and implement it also in Fedora, it would be user-friendly.

By the way, the dialog is pretty generic, I think it also informs the
user about other apps that has been updated and are currently running.
But I don't remember seeing that notification for something other than
Firefox. But for Firefox, it works.