Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Mon Nov 16 21:20:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On 11/15/2009 02:24 PM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>> Because this will trigger the firefox saving mechanism and would not
>> cause a data loss.
>
> Session Restore does work well for me, but it does not derive data
> exclusively from the DOM cache - it will reload some data from sites,
> losing state in some cases, causing side effects in others.  It would be
> lovely if it were all cached and deterministic, but we can't know what
> kind of bad things will happen if we automatically restart.
>
> Ubuntu's solution looks right for now.

I do not think their solution helps. I am already way thru their extension
code (see
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~asac/ubufox/main/annotate/head%3A/content/updateRestart.js)
and what it is doing is, that it every 5s checks wherether there is a file
/var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/firefox-3.5-restart-required with newer
timestamp compared to last time this extension was woken up. If yes then
notify restart. But as firefox files are already modified and missig on a
filesystem, this restart would be equal to what we see now on Fedora. FF
needs to be killed before update, and started afterwards.

The other solution would be to install to the same directory. As FF
updates are not that huge, the running instance would have its files
modified, but would not crash most probably, then making a notification to
restart make sens.

> -Bill

Adam Pribyl