kernel-2.6.32-0.48.rc7.git1.fc13.x86_64 installation problem

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 17 19:54:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:45:12AM -0500, john rosich wrote:

> In the process, all kernel entries in grub were removed: Only Windows XP was
> showing.
>
> rpm -qa shows two kernels (the above kernel & fc12 --  latest version) as being
> installed.
>
> What needs to be done to make the system functional?

Add back missing grub entries.  One way to do it:

  rpm -qf --scripts /boot/vmlinuz-<whatever_you_have>

In an output you will see "postinstall scriptlet" and in it
something like
  /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel ....
Run that command and that should restore your grub entry.  If a
corresponding mkinitrd already exists then '--mkinitrd' in options
is not needed.

Previously on this list it was mentioned that hmaccalc package may
be needed for f13 kernel.  Somehow I got that installed even with
hmaccalc missing but YMMV.

   Michal